Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Reply

Still discovering how to use this blog site, and a good part of it continues to be a mystery. It is my understanding, though, that the Replies to a blog do not get emailed to the people on the email list. The email list is pretty limited, so I can't add all the people I would like to subject to my meanderings. Replies are missing from some of the posts, and I have to figure out how to make that "un-happen."

Ah, technology. Getting a new computer, wasted a week on this one. More on that later, but I wanted to make sure that everyone saw Gerry's response to my blog about sayings and names of hair salons. If anyone else knows some, give me a shout. Now, without further ado, heeerrre's Gerry!

Bob,
I think most of us can only remember one or two clever beauty shop names, unless we've been writing them down over the years, and you've already used mine. There are probably dozens of Curl Up and Dye shops around the county, although I have personally only seen the one in Minneapolis.

You should make this a project of yours and just do some internet research. It would take your mind off some of your political cogitations and worries.

You can do a Google search for the yellow page listings in any city you want. I randomly picked Seattle and searched for Beauty Salons. Some of the results are:

Stylus
Wild Roots Salon
Vain
Cowboys and Angels Salon
Hair Shaft
Helmet Head
Cut Loose Collective
Over the Top
Spoiled Hair Studio
Hair for You
Vivian's Clip Joint
The Locks Shop
Shear Elegance
Shear Madness
Chop House
Untangled Spaces
Habitude at the Locks

My personal favorite:
Beauty is Pain

There is one that is just plain weird:
Discover Yourself With Bonnie

And there are two that I like because they remind me of a project I once thought of, which was to find businesses that involved an odd combination:

Radar Hair and Records
A Terrible Beauty Irish Pub (This suggests a lot of alcohol-fueled bad decisions)

My two favorite odd business combinations that made me want to search out more are:
"Toovey's Meat and Music" in Watertown, MN (a combination butcher shop and musical instruments store, mostly guitars and big amps.

"Xxxx's Taxidermy and Cheese," along I-94, the 2nd or 3rd exit going east into Wisconsin from Minnesota. It was the exit I used to take when I was taking classes at U. of Wisconsin-River Falls.


While Gerry spots a favorite among them, I can't. They are all a hoot, and the next question that pops up is, "Why are cutesy names so popular with hair salons?" Why aren't they just "First National Hair Cutters?" Or, "Bob and Gerry's Barber Shop?"

Sorry, Gerry, I already have enough projects, not horribly endowed with ambition, and irritating you with political blatherings is so amusing to me.

I had to do a little wandering on the internet--
Newark, NJ
Hair Cult
Soultry Scissors Hair Studio
Carmen's Hair Fashions (threw that in because I don't think I ever met anyone in Nebraska or Minneapolis named Carmen)
Mane Attraction
Hair Masters
Fortress of Solitude, Inc. (What? ¿Que?)
Platinum Doobies Salon (Not something you find on the prairie, either)
Hair Flair
Contagious Cuts (Sounds sort of dangerous)

Now, Dallas. Except for something that may have been misfiled, God's Appointed Time Ministries, Dallas just doesn't have it.

Later.










No comments:

Post a Comment