Monday, May 20, 2019

COLLEGE GRADUATION

We were invited to a graduation party this evening, a really nice affair for the daughter of our friends who happened to be from Nebraska!

A young person, starting out with an education from a stellar school, the University of Virginia. Surrounded by friends and family.

I remember the hot day in August, 1968, fifty-one years ago when we were invited to stand up; sit down; now you're a graduate. No parading across the stage for us.

The people who attended my graduation ceremony at Pershing Auditorium in Lincoln, Nebraska were few, and it dawned on me this evening that I am the only survivor of that bunch--my ex-wife and my parents are gone. My brother might have been there, too, but he's gone, too. I doubt that he was there, nor his wife, Carol, who is also gone, because it was August and farming needed to be done.

Things change over more than half a century. Here's to the next half century and a flourishing life for Allie, the young lady who just graduated.

No comments:

Post a Comment